The Longdogs

The Longdogs
Harley takes his role as navigator seriously!

On the Road Again

Okay, the RV is in the driveway, the fridge is cool, and I am throwing things in and heading out. Yay! I don't care if it is a crowded weekend. As long as I have a spot to stay, it will be wonderful. Let's see:  clothes (check), medicine (check), dog medicine (check), dog crates (check, check, check), wine (check), dog food (check), fridge food (check), freezer food (check), wine (check), computer & bag (check), kindle (check), wine (check), camera (check), hmmmm, that should cover it.  Give the dogs a quick bath, leashes, and we're off.

"On the road again, I just want to be on the road again.....".   Willy, Gretchen, and Harley are a very uncritical audience when I break into song.  lol   

It wasn't a long trip but it was kind of exciting.  The normal route I take out to Canyon Lake has some construction going on as you turn off I-35 so I decided to take some back roads.  No problem, good roads.  Out 3009, right on 46 heading towards New Braunfels,  hmmm, "Old Crane Mill Road", that must be the one Vicki and I pulled her Casita back from Canyon Lake on.  Gee, looks a little narrow.  One lane going each direction.  Wow, these lanes can't be much more than 6 feet wide.  Check out these hills and it's windy like a snake on the move.  No shoulders, trees crowding the sides.  Hmmm, 20 MPH speed limit then 30 MPH, nope, back to 20 MPH.  Okay, when the signs in Texas say 20 MPH, you want to pay attention because we are not known for holding down the speed limit.  No place to turn around.  Okay, we can do this.  I pulled over the top of hill to see a pickup truck parked off the side in the ditch but it looks like it was intentional and we can get by...no problem.  What!   There's a water tank truck coming at us ahead.  Hope he slows way, way down.  Might have to pull the mirror in.  We can do this.  

Guess he took one look at the big 5th wheel and truck (it couldn't have been the driver) and he pulled off in the ditch behind the other truck.  Okay, I didn't scare him off the road....they were meeting up.

Well, thank goodness those were the only two vehicles we met on the road.  "Old Crane Mill Road" is what I call a really fun motorcycle road.......RVs.....not so much.   Anyway, we connected up to the road heading into Sattler and zipped right along.  Oh, yes....there's the road I should have taken to get here.  All's well that ends well.  Sorry, no pictures, couldn't take my hands off the wheel.

Arrived at my destination after a long travel day of 1 hour.  More on that later.

8 comments:

  1. Enjoy your weekend at Canyon Lake. This is one of our favorite Lakes in Texas. We usually park at Potters Creek. Another favorite in San Antonio area is Stone Creek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potter's Creek is also one of my favorites. Over a holiday though, it can get a little noisy. And, right now, the big pool here at LaPointe is a big draw for the grandkids.

      Delete
  2. No pictures is a good thing for your trip. I like hands on the wheel in tight spots. I bet the pups were just all a wiggle with excitement. Have a wonderful time and enjoy your week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you are busy setting up. Glad to see that the wine got checked 3 times :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one was for you (and a few of my other Pink FlaminGoes friends). ;)

      Delete
  4. You brought back some memories of when I lived in San Pedro Hills & would take the back roads to Canyon Lake. Ahhh, gas was cheap then & I had a small car! Have a great camping trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to only have to drive an hour, even over scary road, to get to a fun location. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a GREAT weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.