The Longdogs

The Longdogs
Harley takes his role as navigator seriously!

Last Leg to the Florida Panhandle

We were up and on our way by 9:00 AM.  I know that is not really early but, please, with a 5 and 7 year old, it isn't bad.  Breakfast can be a time consuming affair.  We had no trouble getting back on I-10 and heading out.  The route goes over long bridges stretching out over one side of Lake Ponchartrain.  The route through Mississippi is pretty too.  There is a short stretch of Alabama to cover before you get to Florida.  We knew this would be our longest traveling day but we planned rest stops to stretch our legs and give the kids a break.  Okay, we needed them too.  Steve said he was really enjoying the motorcycle ride but the seat does get hard after a while.  Some times he rode ahead of us and sometimes behind.  Every once in a while, he would go past and wave to the kids.

 There are some nice rest areas along the way so you might as well take advantage of them.  The sky looked great in this picture but you can see the clouds in the distance.  The rain did hit us and pour hard for about 10 minutes.  Steve waved me over so he could give me the cell phone.  Once it quit, it didn't take long before he was dry because it was a hot trip.  It is 15 degrees cooler here than in Texas but it is so humid.  Once you cross into Florida, you start seeing so many tall pine trees and there are magnolias growing on the side of the road.  All of a sudden, "Hillary" said it was time to turn off.  Steve was ahead of me and I honked several times but he went sailing on.  I knew he was going to have to stop for gas again (about 130 miles per motorcycle tankful) so I made the turn onto 331.  After debating with myself on whether I should wait to see if he turned around, I figured he knew the way home and went on ahead.  We made it to Lynn Haven (next to Panama City) about 15 minutes before he did but pulling your house behind you means you always have a place to go.  Steve has lots of room to park in his side yard so we were just relaxing when he got there.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Sounds like a fun summer ahead! Thanks for posting the link to your blog, I'm really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.