The Longdogs

The Longdogs
Willy, Harley (back center), and Gretchen

Dazzling Smiles

We couldn’t put it off any longer. The teeth had to be cleaned….they were beyond awful and we just won’t talk about the breathe. I really hate taking the dachsies in for teeth cleaning because there is that anesthesia bit. I immediately picture two of our dachshunds, Ginger and Heidi (that passed away some time ago), as they staggered bewildered back to us after they had their teeth cleaned. They were still a little dopey the next day. As a result, I put the cleaning off….and off…..and off until my son said “Mom, they just have to have their teeth cleaned or they will be as bad as Heidi’s teeth were.”
Gretchen and Willy are both 11. You would never know it as Gretchen acts more like Harley’s age which is almost 6. Now Willy’s teeth are not pristine by any means but they really aren’t bad at all and he just isn’t as robust as the other two so it’s Gretchen and Harley off to the dental cleaning. I partially blame the activities below for the tartar encrusted teeth.

From the time Gretchen was a puppy, little old Heidi taught her to clean out Heidi’s mouth and Heidi had bad teeth and bad breathe. So Heidi passed on…..Gretchen tried cleaning Willy’s mouth but he was having none of it.  Then Harley came into the picture and Gretchen was back in business as he was a willing participant.
I don’t have any “before” pictures but that is probably just as well. Gretchen’s teeth looked like they had ugly caps on them. Harley’s weren’t quite as bad. We arrived at the vet for the appointment. A big dog came around the corner surprising all three of us. I was already holding Gretchen and Harley scooted between my legs and the check-in counter. Of the course the lady with the big dog just smiled and said “he likes little dogs” as he was poking Harley. A man in the other corner was holding a little chihuahua that was crying pitiously and the man didn’t look in much better shape. He was ahead of me for a teeth cleaning. He went on and on about “please don’t turn us in for not taking care of her teeth…we didn’t know”. He was really afraid she was going to loose all her teeth. Not something I really needed to hear. I asked if they could put Gretchen and Harley in one crate because I knew she would be scared of the whole place but they said they don’t do that because even dogs that are always together sometimes go after each other in unfamiliar places.
With that bit of wisdom, I had to leave them. It was a nerve wrecking day for me. Steve picked me up to go run around and keep me busy. I called at 3:30 like the vet’s office asked me and they said both dogs were alert and ready to go home. Once we picked them up, they advised me to skip dinner for both of them so Willy got his dinner in the other room.
Both Harley and Gretchen were alert but still sleepy that evening. But the results were worth it.

Willy wanted me to check his too.

Willy will probably need to get his cleaned too but I think I need until fall to recover from the stress. 

Don’t get me wrong….the vet’s office was great….I’m just a nervous nelly when it comes to the furkids.
And yes, Gretchen and Harley are back at it again.


  1. Must be that time . . . Maggie was in to have her teeth cleaned yesterday.

  2. I have the girls scheduled for next August and I'm already a nervous wreck so I totally relate to this post. And we haven't done the cleaning thing in years for the same reason. So glad your pups are fine with pearly whites. I know it has to be done but....

  3. You poor thing, not to mention the kids. Our vet does put our girls in the same crate at our request as it keeps them calmer. We had a doxie die on the operating table over 10 years ago and since then we are paranoid about leaving the girls. If they need to be put under we sit with them during the pre sedation and carry them into the OR. The office then calls as soon as the surgery is over whether it be teeth cleaning or some eye lid work ( last year ) and keeps us up to date throughout the day. A few years ago, one of them had to have something done and I just sat in the waiting room and when she started to wake up they brought her to me, IV and all, and I held her as she woke up.

    After that I became more trusting and was able to leave once they were sedated.


Thanks for commenting.