The Longdogs

The Longdogs
Harley takes his role as navigator seriously!

Thanksgiving with Friends

We had a great Thanksgiving yesterday because we spent it with our long time friends and their family.  As a retired Air Force family we, like many other military families, have a few friends that are as close as family.  Frequent moves and deployments often mean that military families are far from other family members so we take care of each other.  My DH and Bob became friends early in their careers.  They were both from Michigan.  It was a number of years before they both had families and our two families were stationed together.  Their older kids were with me in our house at Sheppard AFB when a devastating tornado hit Wichita Falls.  My DH drove our friends to the hospital and was waiting there during the tornado while they had their next baby.  That was some day.  My DH was on a remote assignment when they had their youngest son.  All their other kids were with me.  I got a call to come to the hospital because things weren't going well so I woke up another military family in the middle of the night to come and stay with all the kids.  It was a rough night and a difficult few weeks when the baby and Dad were air evacuated to San Antonio.  Mom didn't get to go for a week.  We were there for each other because families were across the country and that's the way it should be with good friends.  Once again we all live in the same city so holidays are often spent together.

Dinner was great.  Turkey and all the trimmings.  Their kids and their families were there along with a sister and boyfriend from Houston so it was a full house.  Thanks again friends.  Sorry there are no pictures but it was a magnificent spread and three tables full of people sitting down together.

Today I cooked up a small turkey that I purchased over the weekend because we like lots of turkey "leftovers".  I think "do-overs" is a better term.  Turkey sandwiches, sliced turkey, turkey soup or casserole.  I like it all.

Hope you all had a wonderful day of Thanksgiving with family or friends whereever you happened to be.

3 comments:

  1. Friendships can bring closer ties than family sometimes. Especially since we get to pick our friends. I love those do-overs so I may need to pick up a small bird for us. We'll see if I have the energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that way about our RV family. We have become so close with some of them and believe me they treat us better than some of our blood relatives. That is so sad but we are so thankful to have them. Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had such a happy Thanksgiving. I ended up loving my day as well, although I really didn't think I would.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.