The Longdogs

The Longdogs
Willy, Harley (back center), and Gretchen

On the Road Again

After a couple of days of trying to bring some order out of the mess at the new house, Steve and I hit the road for Florida.  No, not in the RV, just in the RAV5.  Steve is a great traveling companion and it is fun to have a travel partner anytime.  We left at 5:45 AM (not my idea you can bet) and arrived in Panama City at about 7:00 PM.

I think I forgot to mention that I haven't been able to find my camera since I was at the Memorial Day party.  Searched my house high and low without any luck so I didn't get any pictures until I remembered that Steve's big camera was in the back seat.  So we were already heading into Mobile when I got a few photos.

Ah yes, Florida is not far down the road now.

Mobile has some interesting buildings near the highway.

Is there is light at the end of the tunnel?

Yes, I do believe there is.  We just have to get under the river to the other side.

 The end is in sight.  Only a few hours more to Panama City.  Thank heavens we just have to make the panhandle and not the middle of the state.

That's right.  Rain ahead.

All in all, we had a good trip, stopped at some nice rest areas, got gas a couple of times, and got some barbeque at The Shedd in Ocean Springs, MS.  We got to use the HOV lane in Houston which saved us a long wait in traffic.  We saw a couple of accidents holding up traffic on the west bound lanes.  We had one of those accidents occur right in front of us.  An SUV either had a blowout or got hit by another car's blowout and swerved and skidded across eastbound lanes, then the median, and rolled over onto it's side in front of three lanes of west bound traffic.  By some miracle, all three lanes of westbound traffic managed to stop before hitting the SUV.  If they had their seatbelts on, they were probably shaken but okay.

DIL pulled into their driveway right ahead of us so timing was great.  So here we are in Florida....almost totally empty house.  We each have a lawn chair.  There is a huge very old TV.  The washer, dryer, and fridge are selling with the house so we have them along with the stove, microwave and oven.  Steve and Helen have some camping pads to sleep on.  I brought along an inflatable mattress.  We used a bike pump to pump it up.  And, while unloading the car, Steve found my camera down between the front seats.  I was a happy camper.

About two hours after I went to bed, I woke up on a deflated mattress on the wood floor.  Scrambling to get up off the floor to go to the bathroom was not a pretty sight. There won't be a picture of that.  Trying to get back to sleep on the floor was not any prettier. I was not a happy camper.  Good thing I had a glass of wine for dinner and two Tylenol PMs before bed so I managed to get back to sleep.

Today I painted woodwork and cleaned windows and screens.  Helen had to go into work and Steve did the yard and installed a new light fixture.   Tonight I went to Walmart and bought a new inflatable bed and a pump that plugs into the wall.  I think I'll go with the two Tylenol PMs again.

Somebody please come and buy this nice renovated house next week.


  1. Welcome to FLA. Funny, we are in the same state!!

  2. What a good Mom! Hope the house sells quickly!

  3. Don't you absolutely hate it when you wake up on the hard floor or ground because the mattress deflated? I've just bought my 3rd air mattress, but there is no guarantee that any of them won't deflate when you least expect it.

  4. Hope the new mattress works better and that you don't end up on the floor. Been there, done that, not fun, in a tent.

  5. Looks like you are in for some nasty weather. Stay safe and dry. Hoping all goes smoothly with the preparations and sale.


Thanks for commenting.