The Longdogs

The Longdogs
Harley takes his role as navigator seriously!

2020-07-22 Breaking in Beaumont

 


Harley lets me know that we are here from his navigator seat because he remembers this place from another trip. Gulf Coast RV Resort is my normal place to stop when traveling east. They honor Passport America which is always nice. Pads are long and concrete all pull-through. They could be a little wider but it's easier to line up my motorhome door with the picnic table pad than it was my 5th wheel which had the door near the back. It's a little more difficult to get here than it used to be because they are rebuilding the bridge over I-10 and it seems like it is taking forever. So if you miss the turn way ahead of the road, you have to go on and come in the back way which is pretty easy...especially if you have done it several times.

As I said in my last post, it quit raining before I got here so I got hooked up to electric and cable quickly. Then I decided it would be smart to fill my fresh water tank so I wouldn't have to hook up at my next stop and to give me a little more ballast in case Tropical Storm Beta finally made up it's mind and started moving. I also dumped the gray and black tanks just because it wasn't raining. 

We settled in for a relaxing evening. Monday morning I decided to stay another night. Beta still wasn't moving very fast and they have decent wifi. I had lots of paperwork to catch up on from the rally since I am the secretary. I finished off the notes from the Officers Meeting and then the Chapter meeting. Then I incorporated the changes we voted on in the Chapter Rules and sent those off to our parent organization, RVing Women for review. That took a good part of the day but I managed to get a long hot shower in at the park bathroom. Normally I prefer to use my RV shower but I didn't want to put that much water in the gray tank since I will be using that at my next stop and at the upcoming rally.

It rained a little off and on during the day but really not much at all. Tuesday morning I headed east again. It rained between Beaumont and Sulphur. I was a little concerned about the bridge in Lake Charles as I heard it was hit again by another barge during Hurricane Laura. Everything was okay and we got across just fine. There was a lot of hurricane damage starting in Sulphur and continuing past Lake Charles. Huge trees were snapped like matchsticks and laying everywhere. Lots of building down and lots more with blue tarps over their roofs. I understand that a lot of the areas still doesn't have power back and that was several weeks ago. 

When I got to Lafayette, I talked to my friend Martha again. She lives south of Lafayette in Abbyville. I know the storm surge from a hurricane a number of years ago flooded her house and they brought in a lot of dirt and put the new one much higher up. She said she wasn't expecting to have to evacuate this time. She is supposed to be coming to the rally as well.  I did a little grocery shopping for the rally at Walmart in Breaux Bridge and filled up my gas tank. My next stop was my friend Carolyn's house in Butte LaRose. She is on a rolling rally on the way back from the east coast and will meet up at Tickfaw State Park for our Pink FlaminGoes Flocking. She has a couple of hookups at her house and said she would be happy to have stay here so here I am. Harley and I arrived about supper time yesterday and got hooked up to power. It rained hard this morning way before we got up and sprinkled a couple of time during the day but the sun was also out quite a bit. Harley was happy to get out for a couple of short walks. He promised to protect me from the alligators but fortunately, we didn't see any. I was surprised to see that the swamp water was low right now. That isn't always the case. 

Today I spent 3 hours trying to get 3 photos into a folder on a website. Google photos kept saying I needed an Internet connection which I was already using on the website. Some days electronics can give you a headache. I could get on google photo fine on my phone (same Internet connection, lol) but the screen was really hard to manipulate the folders on the website. Finally got it done and Harley and I went for a walk.

I'm caught up with the blog for now. Tomorrow I leave for Tickfaw. Harley says he needs my attention now so I'm putting the computer away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.