The Longdogs

The Longdogs
Harley takes his role as navigator seriously!

Visit to Ochlockenee State Park

Wednesday afternoon, we also took a short drive over to Ochlockenee State Park. I stayed here with my son and daughter-in-law and grandkids quite a few years ago and I wanted to show Carolyn. It is a very woodsy area.



It is actually a pretty large state park but the camping area is pretty small and unique. We drove through it and Carolyn was shocked that we got my 31 foot 5th wheel in and out of there. Many of the sites would only work for small campers and some you had to back up a single drive which split into three separate camping spots.....not for the faint of heart. A big class A came through the check in right before us and by the time we checked in and drove to the camping area, they were unhooked from the toad and backing into their site. Fortunately their site was near the entrance and on a curve so they could make the turn and back straight in. When we stayed here, we had to drive through the whole camping area to a site near the exit which was larger than most so, with Steve's help, I had gotten backed in okay. Seeing the camping area again, I was impressed that I got in to the spot because I wouldn't have been able to get into about 2/3 of the other spots.


The park was gearing up for some sort of special event the following week. We saw these tents set up and heard a radio but didn't see anyone around.

This is the swimming dock. My kids and grandkids swam here and had a ball years ago but Grandma had eyes peeled for alligators the whole time even thought it was marked for swimming.

Yeh, right past the swimming area.


This is one of the squirrels we saw. We were hoping to see the white squirrels. The last time I was here, we were sitting at a picnic table and all of a sudden, there were white squirrels all around. We were so surprised because we didn't know about them. No white squirrels on this trip although they were advertised in the brochure we got.

So, Carolyn, this is for you. These are pictures I took of the white squirrels the last time I was here.


We took a ride around the back part of the park to see if we could find one of the white deer. We came across the same couple that had the big Class A that came in right before us. They saw one of the deer and managed to get a rather blurred picture of it which they were happy to show us.

We didn't seem them the last time I was here either but I did manage to find a couple of pictures people who did see them took. So, now you know what to look for when you come here.


The last time I was here my granddaughter Morgan was about three. She learned how to say Ochlockenee and Apalachicola and managed to work them into a conversation every time she talked to someone. I told Carolyn that I might need to have Morgan give her a call and some coaching as these two names don't flow any easier off a Cajun tongue than Cajun places roll off my tongue. They all bring good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.