The Longdogs

The Longdogs
Harley takes his role as navigator seriously!

The Road to Shawnee

On the road again.....on the way to the RVing Women Convention in Shawnee Oklahoma. Seems strange to be heading north when the weather is cool but it is an adventure. I met up with my friend Mary Jane in her Phoenix Cruiser at the local Walmart. I had to pick up a few groceries so I was running a bit later than I intended but we planned to take our time on the road. We finally pulled out about 10:30AM. We had an easy drive as we elected to skip I-35 through Austin and head up 281 instead. We stopped for a late lunch at the Koffee Kup restaurant in Hico. It has been there for many years and is definitely a local favorite. It is a great place to stop because they have a large lot behind the restaurant.....I even overnighted there once. They specialize in all kinds of pie with meringue piled high. They also have lots of down home type food.  Our stop for the night was early.....about 4:00PM at the Coffee Creek RV Resort. It's a nice park with mostly long level pull-through sites. Be careful with your GPS directions which will direct you incorrectly. The park is on 281 about half a mile north of I-20.


We both had plenty of water in our fresh tanks so we only hooked up electric making setup and takeoff pretty simple. Oh, I did hook up the cable TV too as my TV is not pulling in any channels right now.

They have some nice looking cabins available too.

There are also two clubhouses......

...as well as a pool and a hot tub. I had my eye on the hot tub but when I was ready to use it, there were several couples in it and then it turned rather chilly.

The next morning we had coffee and relaxed, got in a doggy walk, and just took our time. We planned to stay over one more night as we wanted to arrive in Shawnee before noon on Saturday. We stopped at the Oklahoma State Line rest area for lunch.

Friday night found us at the Shady Oaks RV Park in Sulphur OK. It was early and the owner and his wife were nice but......


....but this is what they called a pull-through site. You pulled in off the road but you had to wind around trees, fire pits, and trees as well as other RVs to get out. The hookups put you right next to the full-time 5th wheel........and this was the good site.

The back in sites had about 6 inches between your RV tires and a big railroad tye on each side. Backing in was an absolute nightmare. My 5th wheel was at a 90 degree angle and the owner was asking me if I couldn't turn the wheel any harder. On the last try before I told Mary Jane that I would meet her at the local Walmart the next morning, I got the RV backed in by completely ignoring the owners ridiculous directions. Thank goodness all I planned to hook up was the electric. Not a relaxing way to end the day and, no, we will never stay there again.

The best I can say about this park is that it was very dark and very quiet all night long...maybe okay if you are staying for a week but not worth the effort for overnight stays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.